February 3, 2018. Did you know that many fabric manufacturers and designers offer free projects and patterns? Lily Chat has a list of them in Free Quilt Top Patterns. Today, I checked all the links, added some and deleted others that were obsolete.
I’ve made some of Jinny Beyer’s free patterns found at RJR Fabrics. Here are my versions of Night and Day and Pacific Rim:
January 31, 2018. Inspired by the fabrics in ‘BeDaisied’, I’ve created some new patterns that are now available for sale at Lily Street Patterns.
January 20, 2018. The yellow polkadot and green patches make me think of butterflies. To provide some wing-like shapes, I thought a daisy might be nice. To try out that idea, I separated the daisy shape out of the Blossom Triangle Tall pattern and rotated it 45 degrees and flipped it when necessary. I really like the results.
January 16, 2018. Creative Studio in Stand Alone Mode works great for auditioning Edge to Edge Patterns too. Even with E2E quilting, I always audition in CS before I begin stitching. Sure beats ripping out stitches if I realize too late that I don’t like a pattern or its placement or size.
And you don’t really need a ‘perfect’ image of your quilt top to get a general idea of how a pattern will look.
January 16, 2018. After creating a graphical image of the quilt top, I import the image into Creative Studio in Stand Alone Mode. At this point, I am not concerned that the size of the image represents the actual size of the quilt. I won’t be stitching anything on this quilt top until I am happy with the design. So, during the design phase, the actual size of the patterns doesn’t matter either. I simply place them on the image and size them to fit.
In many projects, this is the point at which my creativity seems to evaporate or go into vapor lock or something. To move forward, I just load some patterns into Creative Studio and start placing them. This is an awkward phase for me and sometimes it takes awhile to make progress. And very often, the end result isn’t anything like the beginning.
Here is the first pass at the design for ‘BeDaisied’.
January 12, 2018. Whether we are quilting one of our own UFO’s or have received a quilt top from a customer, sometimes we need help generating ideas for a great quilting design. Perhaps one or two of the Elements and Principles of Design may offer inspiration. BrainBuffet.com has a couple of handy charts and videos that are useful resources.
For example, consider the shape (one of the elements of design) of the patterns and fabrics in the quilt top. If the shapes are angular and boxy, perhaps a contrasting (one of the principles of design) curvy quilting pattern would make a complementary choice.
January 11, 2018. Planning for the quilting design of my next UFO (unfinished object) has begun. Typically, I start by creating a graphical image of the quilt top to import into Creative Studio (the CAD program for the Statler Stitcher that runs my longarm machine). Since it’s difficult to get an undistorted photo of a flat, unquilted top that is 70″ by 82″, using a graphical image works ever so much better.
To create the graphical image, I used EQ7 to create the blocks, borders and quilt layout. I scanned the fabrics and then imported the images into EQ7 so that I could get a realistic representation of the quilt top.
December 19, 2017. Quilting this Round Robin was quite a challenge. From planning to hanging, it took about 6 months. At the beginning, finding a way to create a design to pull the somewhat random piecing all together was difficult and frustrating. After that, the process was a lot of fun.
Several patterns suitable for borders were developed for the quilt. Within the next few days, look for new border/corner designs on the Lily Street Patterns website
My stack of unfinished quilt tops is down to four. Next in line is on my machine and waiting for inspiration–after Christmas.
Wishing you a joyful, peaceful holiday.
October 17, 2017. Since the design was completed in mid-August, I’ve stitched most of the top and center sections of the Round Robin quilt. I’m following the design for the most part with a few changes here and there. As the design flows over different colors, I’m changing thread color to match. It’s pretty tedious because there’s a lot of thread changes but I’m delighted with the results so far.